Lego Australia has been recognised for its sustainable packaging design at the Australian Packaging Covenant Organisation (APCO) Awards.
Recognising innovation in the packaging sector, Lego took out the APCO award in the Homewares category, beating out other finalists including 3M Australia and Asko Australia.
In a statement, APCO said that the business has committed to improving its packaging.
"The Lego Group has set the ambitious target of 100% of all Lego primary packaging to be made of renewable or recycled materials by 2025 and has adopted a Sustainable Packaging Design Guide to guide them on the process.
"Lego is also working hard to positively influence its broader supply chain, with its Engage To Reduce meetings, a series of collaboration-focused sessions developed to share information with suppliers."
APCO CEO Brooke Donnelly added that all of the winners have demonstrated outstanding packaging initiatives.
"All of the winners and finalists have demonstrated industry leadership and excellence in sustainable packaging.
"While these initiatives represent different approaches to this challenge – research, design, innovation or collaboration – what they collectively demonstrate is that Australian industry is driving forward with the positive business case for sustainable packaging – and that now is the time for more Australian businesses to adopt an approach that’s both good for the environment, good for business and good for Australia.
"With the 2025 target to make all packaging 100% reusable, recyclable or compostable now in focus, industry collaboration and innovation have never been more important.
"The award ceremony was an opportunity to celebrate the achievements of organisations that are leading the way in making this target a reality.
"We look forward to continuing to work with them in close partnership, in order to share the innovation, learning and insights required to build a circular economy here in Australia," she said.
All of the winning companies at the APCO Awards were:
- Sustainable Packaging Excellence- Chep Australia
- Outstanding Achievement in Industry Leadership- BioPak
- Outstanding Achievement in Packaging Design- Panasonic Australia
- Outstanding Achievement in Sustainable Packaging Operations- Amgen Australia
- APCO Sustainability Champion- Diarmaid O'Mordha
- High Performing New Member- Marechal Australia
- Chemicals & Agriculture Sector- LyondellBasell Australia
- Clothing, Footwear & Fashion Sector- Hugo Boss Australia
- Electronics Sector- Dell Australia
- Food & Beverage Sector- Red Rooster Foods
- Homewares Sector- Lego Australia
- Large Retailer Sector- Coles Supermarkets Australia
- Logistics Sector- Chep Australia
- Machinery & Hardware Sector- Ryco Group
- Packaging Manufacturer Sector- Detmold Packaging
- Personal Care Sector- ABC Tissue Products
- Pharmaceuticals Sector- Amgen Australia
- Telecommunications Sector- SingTel Optus