Major eTailers eBay Australia and Amazon Australia have revealed their top toys and trends for the 2020 Christmas season.
Once again partnering with the Starlight Children's Foundation, Amazon's 12 Playmakers have helped review the eTailer's top 100 toys, helping customers with their shopping and giving back to Starlight in the process.
In their review of Amazon's Top 100 toys, the Playmakers have identified five trends of this year:
- Toys for creativity: Hands-on toys like Lego, jigsaw puzzles, and arts and crafts are creative hobbies for kids and adults, providing Aussies with a satisfying sense of accomplishment and way to unwind.
- Comfort in classics: Classic family and kids’ games offer a sense of familiarity and nostalgic fun. Games like Monopoly, Jenga, Barbie Dreamhouse and Uno all feature in Amazon Australia's top 100 toys catalogue this year.
- As seen on the screen: This year, silver screen icons came to life in our homes as popular toys. From meme icon Baby Yoda, beloved children’s character Hedwig to 2020’s favourite dog Bluey, children can now play with their on-screen idols at home.
- To play is to learn: The super toys for play and development, STEM and tech toys continue to experience growth as parents seek to make learning at home as fun as playtime.
- Rise of the kidult: 2020 was a year that gave adults the permission to unleash their inner kid as we stayed (and played) at home. From thrilling games like Unstable Unicorns and Exploding Kittens, to test how well you know your friends and family, to exciting challenges like Catan to flex your mental muscle, the top 100 toys are for the big kids as much as for the 'actual' kids.
For every toy purchased that features in the Amazon Playmakers toy catalogue over the Black Friday and Cyber Monday shopping events, Amazon Australia will donate $5 to Starlight Children’s Foundation, in addition to $40,000 worth of toys, games, crafts and gift cards.
Meanwhile, eBay's toy experts have identified three key trends using shopper data.
According to the eTailer's research the top three trends for Christmas are:
- Gifts that keep giving: Toys that require nurturing and encourage patience are in demand as almost half (42 per cent) of parents believe their children will lose interest in their Christmas gifts within a month. eBay research also reveals 21 per cent of parents have found their child’s attention span has shortened due to the impacts of COVID-19.
- Diversity: Four in five (83 per cent) parents think it’s important toys encourage diversity and inclusion. This year eBay expects the Barbie Fashionistas™ Dolls range - which features dolls with physical disabilities, different skin tones, hairstyles and body types - to be popular. Since June, eBay has already seen this trend grow with a 173 per cent rise in sales of Barbie dolls with petite, curvy or tall attributes.
- Back to basics:
Building toys: Construction and brick toys are set to top toy lists (41 per cent) as families look for toys that involve spending time together (26 per cent) and encourage mindfulness and calm (20 per cent). Classic Lego is in huge demand spurred by the popularity of TV series Lego Masters inspiring both kids and adults to get creative.
Board games: Following their success of helping beat boredom during lockdown, 31 per cent of parents are likely to buy their children a board game for Christmas.
Puzzles: Slotting into wish lists this Christmas are puzzles with a third (33 per cent) of parents considering this budget-friendly option. Following the nationwide lockdown earlier this year, eBay saw a 787 per centincrease in puzzle sales.
Arts and crafts: Activities that encourage mindfulness and creativity have seen arts and crafts return to the top toy list with sales growing by 128 per cent year-on-year during lockdown.
Within these categories, eBay's toy experts have identified the top toys, as listed below:
Gifts that Keep Giving
Little Live Pets Gotta Go Flamingo
FurReal Friends Mam Josie the Kangaroo
Baby Alive: Baby Grows Up
My Fairy Garden Fairy Nature Garden
Little Live Pers Scruff-a-Luv Secret Scents
Back to Basics
Operation Pet Scan
Clementoni Mystic Tigers High Quality Collection 1,000 Piece Jigsaw Puzzle
Lego Super Mario Adventures with Mario Starter Course
Play-Doh Kitchen Creations Drizzy Ice Cream Playset
Lego Dots Jewellery Box
Barbie Fashionistas Doll Assorted
Kiya Indigenous Doll (pre-order)
My Shadow is Pink by Scott Stuart
You and Me and Everybody Else by Marcos Farina
The Boy Who Steals Houses by C.G. Drews
Tech and Gaming
VTech Kidizoom Studio
Nintendo Switch Console Neon
Really R.A.S Robots Fartbro
Star Wars: The Mandalorian The Child (Baby Yoda) Animatronic Figure
Bluey Lean N Glide Tri Scooter